[Distutils] Is the Packaging Guide dead?

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Sun Feb 5 13:11:59 CET 2012

Le 29/01/2012 17:28, Alex Clark a écrit :
> I wouldn't declare it dead based on that info (i.e. that
> distutils2/packaging will replace distribute.)
I was more judging from the fact that the guide has seen no update in a
year.  If not dead, it’s not moving much :)

> Distribute is still the guiding force in getting everyone to
> distutils/packaging IIUC.
Is it?  I see that development is still going on, but I don’t know
what distribute’s plan is to support the transition: do you still want
to implement the new PEPs (possibly using d2 under the cover)?  Or
should distribute get no new features and just continue to exist for
people who use it, and when they want to switch they’d benefit from the
compat layer in d2?

> So, the documentation has not been updated recently, but everything in
> the guide is still relevant AFAIK.
Some facts in the guide are outdated, and some opinions I disagree with.
 If we put ourselves in the shoes of someone wanting to know what’s
going on in the Python packaging world now and how they can distribute
their code, the guide only partly helps.

Regards