[Distutils] Installing to c:\Program Files\

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 00:29:42 CET 2012

On 9 February 2012 19:01, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen <torquil at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is the distutils system suited for installation of a python program to a
> subfolder of c:\Program Files\ ?
>
> I can generate an msi file using the bdist_msi method, but the resulting
> msi installer puts the files in c:\python27\lib\site-packages (or something
> like that).
>
> My python program basically consists of a python script, two python
> modules and some text files. None of this should be available to other
> python programs, so I want it all to be installed in a subdirectory of
> Program Files. This makes sense, right?
>
> The program itself is already capable to be launched from any folder.
>
> Can distutils create an msi file for my python program that does what I
> want? Or should I use some other tool? I want to create an installer that
> uses the Windows "Add/Remove programs" system, and hopefully allows
> upgrading to newer program versions without leaving multiple versions
> installed.

Basically the answer is no, you can't use distutils to do this. Instead you
should use a tool like py2exe to generate an executable for your program
that bundles the Python binaries itself along with the program. You can
then create an msi installer for your program using a free tool like WiX.
Your bundled installers can then be installed into the standard Windows
location and won't require your user to have Python installed to use your
program:

http://www.py2exe.org/
http://wix.sourceforge.net/

All the best,