[Distutils] buildout: several fold performance increases

Ross Patterson me at rpatterson.net
Sat Jan 21 11:19:03 CET 2012

I moved this patch to a branch of zc.buildout:

svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zc.buildout/branches/env-cache

Digging into one of the additional failures, I traced the problem to
develop eggs.  Since zc.buildout.easy_install.develop() can change what
eggs and versions a pkg_resources.Environment would find, the cached
environments were out of date after buildout processed develop eggs.  I
addressed this by finding any cached environments whose paths include
the path the develop egg is installed into and having those environments
rescan that path.  With that fix, my zc.buildout tests have no
additional failures beyond what they do on my system (with an isolated
python built from source).

I also compared buildout run times (using the 'time' command, not
cProfile) on a real world buildout with 6 identical parts and a few
other parts with very similar distribution requirements.  The time
without the patches was 1m27.513s and with the patches as applied to
zc.buildout 1.4.4 it was 0m34.674s.  Also, buildout.dumppickedversions
suffers the same logging hot spot as I fixed in zc.buildout r122980 and
before I patched it the buildout run time was 2m13s.  Can someone cut a
release of buildout.dumppickedversions?

All told, this is a 4 fold real world improvement.  With all those hot
spots addressed there are no obvious wastes I can find in the profiling
data.  I'd like to merge this into trunk and the 1.4 branch and see
releases cut of both 1.5 and 1.4.  May I begin the merging?

Ross