[Distutils] buildout: several fold performance increases

Ross Patterson me at rpatterson.net
Fri Jan 27 17:56:32 CET 2012

Ross Patterson <me at rpatterson.net> writes:

> Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 02:19:03AM -0800, Ross Patterson wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, buildout.dumppickedversions suffers the same logging hot spot
>>> as I fixed in zc.buildout r122980 and before I patched it the
>>> buildout run time was 2m13s.  Can someone cut a release of
>>> buildout.dumppickedversions?
>>
>> There's also buildout-versions [1], which is a fork/reimplementation
>> of buildout.dumppickedversions, and which I use for my buildouts.  I
>> wonder if the same speedup could be applied to it.  Perhaps not: if I
>> disable buildout-versions in my 41s do-nothing buildout, the
>> do-nothing time stays exactly the same.
>>
>>   [1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/buildout-versions
>
> Yup, it does suffer the same:
>
> https://github.com/Simplistix/buildout-versions/blob/master/src/buildout_versions/__init__.py#L20

I just timed a production buildout with zc.buildout 1.5.2 and compared
buildout.dumppickedversions 0.5 against buildout-versions 1.7.

    buildout.dumppickedversions 0.5 = 0m33.449s
    buildout-versions 1.7           = 1m11.667s

So yeah, your package seems to suffer the same problem as I fixed in
buildout.dumppickedversions to the tune of more than a 2x increase in
run time.

HTH,
Ross