[Distutils] Self Introduction and Getting Hands On

Marcus qwcode at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 20:50:46 CEST 2012

> FWIW I have started a "pypi2rpm" project that creates RPM out of PyPI
> projects, we use at Mozilla to deploy our apps,
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/**pypi2rpm<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pypi2rpm>
> It's just a glue script on the top of an isolated bdist_rpm command and
> distutils2.version (for sorting versions) but you can also pass your spec
> file for a given
> project and have Fedora/RHEL specific options (like adding python26-
> prefixes etc)

Hello Tarek:
if you have anything that details your rpm deployment workflow at mozilla,
i'd love to see it.
I work in a very active build environment, and repetitive"setup.py build"
time is pain point.
currently, we have a pretty fragile virtualenv caching strategy, and I've
even considered patching distutils so that "setup.py build" would somehow
work against a cache.
currently, my mindset is to migrate to a modular rpm install strategy
(managed by puppet) to prevent wasteful build time.

Marcus
P.S. Daniel's "wheel" format is another possible to answer to my concern