[Distutils] Self Introduction and Getting Hands On

Alexis Métaireau alexis at notmyidea.org
Tue Jul 3 10:05:55 CEST 2012

Le mar. 03 juil. 2012 09:55:06 CEST, Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
> On 7/3/12 9:51 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>> On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 3:48 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>> Not sure how http://restricted.crate.io/ qorks (unreachable for me
>>> right now - 'internal server error')
>> Hmm that's odd, it works for me now and I don't see anything logged.
>
> The 3rd hit worked.
>
>> All it does is it doesn't list
>> any external links on the simple pages so pip, easy_install etc never
>> find any links to spider ;)
>>
>> That's all being refactored currently to work a lot nicer though on
>> Crate's end.
>
> But IIRC when the package is downloaded, the metadata are built
> in-place, and the installer may visit the home url for example that's
> in setup.py, no ?

the crawler follows the links present in the simple index before
determining which distribution to download.

However, that's true that the metadata is buit from the information
contained in the setup.py file, and reuses the url present in setup.py
as the "url" metadata. In any case, that's *after* following the links
in the index.