[Distutils] Proposal: drop md5 for sha256

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Tue Jul 3 18:50:00 CEST 2012

> No discussion about adding provides-extra and the reserved extra names
> for python setup.py test?  How about that the environment markers spec
> says you can use == but (naked version number)
It is a bit hard to comment on a very short proposal which proposes an
implementation but not a specification part, and does not summarize the
previous discussions on the topic (on distutils-sig and
the-packaging-of-fellowship Google group).  I know it’s a boring task to
go through the archives to see the various proposals, but someone has to
do it.  On the principle I am +1 for build dependencies and +1 for test
dependencies.  I don’t know what Provides-Extra is about, nor what the
last thing you talk about is.

> And why is pkg-info called metadata now anyway?
I thought this was explained in PEP 376: pkg-info was renamed to
dist-info to respect Python terminology (see glossary in the PEP or the
distutils docs, and please follow it), and the file became a directory
with metadata and other stuff in various files, hence the METADATA file
name.

Regards