[Distutils] distribute broken Python 3.3.3

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jun 25 12:57:54 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Tarek Ziadé <tarek at ziade.org> wrote:
> On 6/25/12 1:11 AM, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>

>> https://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issue/289/distribute-broken-with-python-33
>>
>> I'm gonna try to work around it in buildout 2 by monkey-patching
>> distribute.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> If you write the fix, maybe you can do it against Distribute ? we can
> release it right after.

I'm not interested in fixing the scanning of pyc files, because:

1. buildout2 always unzips, because almost no one wants zipped eggs, and

2. Because the zip_safe setup flag is ignored by distribute.

     https://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issue/279/zip_safe-ignored-by-easy_install-command

3. Life is short. :)

I would be willing to fix distribute to not scan if the the
--always-unzip, -Z option is passed to it.

My monkey-patch simply replaces setuptools.command.bdist_egg.can_scan
with lambda:False.

My recommendation is is to just stop scanning, and don't zip installed
eggs unless
the zip_safe flag is present and true (and the --always-unzip option
isn't used).  I'd be
willing to help with this, but I probably couldn't get to it for a
couple of weeks at the earliest.
This is, of course, backward-incompatible, although I doubt anyone
would really care.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton