[Distutils] distribute broken Python 3.3.3

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jun 30 23:13:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Tarek Ziadé <tarek at ziade.org> wrote:
> On 6/25/12 12:57 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> If you write the fix, maybe you can do it against Distribute ? we can
>>> release it right after.
>>
>> I'm not interested in fixing the scanning of pyc files, because:
>>
>> 1. buildout2 always unzips, because almost no one wants zipped eggs, and
>>
>> 2. Because the zip_safe setup flag is ignored by distribute.
>>

>>  https://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issue/279/zip_safe-ignored-by-easy_install-command
>>
>> 3. Life is short. :)
>>
>> I would be willing to fix distribute to not scan if the the
>> --always-unzip, -Z option is passed to it.
>>
>> My monkey-patch simply replaces setuptools.command.bdist_egg.can_scan
>> with lambda:False.
>>
>> My recommendation is is to just stop scanning, and don't zip installed
>> eggs unless
>> the zip_safe flag is present and true (and the --always-unzip option
>> isn't used).  I'd be
>> willing to help with this, but I probably couldn't get to it for a
>> couple of weeks at the earliest.
>> This is, of course, backward-incompatible, although I doubt anyone
>> would really care.
>

> That sounds like a good plan to me.

OK. So, getting started, I cloned the project and ran the tests.  On
python 2.4-2.7 and 3.2, the test
test_bad_url_double_scheme fails for me.

The reason it fails is because it "scapes" an exception looking for a
string and the scraping
fails.

Does distribute raise this exception? If so, couldn't it in include
some actual data in the
exception that could be tested?

I'm gonna ignore this failure. :/

Jim