[Distutils] RFC: Binary Distribution Format for distutils2/packaging

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Wed Mar 14 03:50:23 CET 2012

On 03/13/2012 05:18 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
[snip]
> 1) setuptools eggs
>
>    - Have to support legacy meta-data format
>
> 2) bdist
>
>    - Need to add python version for:
>      - compatibility info
>      - also provides delimeter between version # and platform
>    - Need to update setuptools/distribute to handle (or ignore) them.
>
> 3) New egg-like format "pbd"
>
>    - Arrange suffix so ignored by setuptools/distribute
>      - new-style meta data
>      - would be a zip file
>
>    - Essentially, .egg format with new-style meta data and different
>      suffix.
>
> Option 3) looks the best to us, so we propose:
>
> - Introduce a new binary distribution format with a ".pbd" suffix
>   and an egg-like structure.
>
>   An example file name:
>
>   ZODB3-3.10.0b1-py2.6-macosx-10.4-x86_64.pbd
>
> - Deprecate bdist format.
>
>   D2/p will not support generation or installation of bdist
>   distributions.

In terms of distribution format, this sounds great; I think a clean
break and new format that existing systems will just naturally ignore is
the way to go.

Your message doesn't address the on-disk installed format. I hope that
the installed format (at least the d2/p default) will be consistent with
PEP 376 (unzipped and "flat"), not an egg-style importable zip file
relying on its own dedicated entry in a pth file.

Carl