[Distutils] easy_install problem

Nitin Dhiman nitinkdhiman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:10:55 CET 2012

Greetings,
My OS is Ubuntu Lucid lynx 10.04, with Python disutils
python-setuptools version 0.6.10-4ubuntu1

I am behind proxy. http_proxy and https_proxy is defined as
http://username:passwd@proxy-ip:port

I am trying to use easy_install to install rosinstall using following command:

nitin at nitin-desktop:~/Downloads$ sudo easy_install -U rosinstall vcstools
[sudo] password for nitin:
Searching for rosinstall
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/rosinstall/
Download error: [Errno -2] Name or service not known -- Some packages
may not be found!
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/rosinstall/
Download error: [Errno -2] Name or service not known -- Some packages
may not be found!
Couldn't find index page for 'rosinstall' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/
Download error: [Errno -2] Name or service not known -- Some packages
may not be found!
No local packages or download links found for rosinstall
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('rosinstall')

This repeats couple of times. Is this issue related to proxy??? I do
not face any problem when having a direct internet connnection.
I had tried using pip also but i gets problems. Following is the
output of log file.

 Downloading/unpacking rosinstall
  Getting page http://pypi.python.org/simple/rosinstall
  Could not fetch URL http://pypi.python.org/simple/rosinstall:
<urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>
  Will skip URL http://pypi.python.org/simple/rosinstall when looking
for download links for rosinstall
  Getting page http://pypi.python.org/simple/
  Could not fetch URL http://pypi.python.org/simple/: <urlopen error
[Errno -2] Name or service not known>
  Will skip URL http://pypi.python.org/simple/ when looking for
download links for rosinstall
  Cannot fetch index base URL http://pypi.python.org/simple/
Cannot find requirement rosinstall, nor fetch index URL
http://pypi.python.org/simple/
Exception information:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pip.py", line 252, in main
    self.run(options, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pip.py", line 408, in run
    requirement_set.install_files(finder, force_root_egg_info=self.bundle)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pip.py", line 1750, in install_files
    url = finder.find_requirement(req_to_install, upgrade=self.upgrade)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pip.py", line 996, in find_requirement
    url_name = self._find_url_name(Link(self.index_urls[0]), url_name, req)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pip.py", line 1073, in _find_url_name
    raise DistributionNotFound('Cannot find requirement %s, nor fetch
index URL %s' % (req, index_url))
DistributionNotFound: Cannot find requirement rosinstall, nor fetch
index URL http://pypi.python.org/simple/

The package I am trying to install is from ROS (www.ros.org) . The
community of ROS has suggested to ask the solution in this community .
I hope some one can solve the problem.
Could this problem be because of any proxy rules???? I am not aware of these.

regards
prince