[Distutils] RFC: Binary Distribution Format for distutils2/packaging

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 18:45:39 CET 2012

On 14 March 2012 16:58, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>>
>> Right.  It is only a replacement for use of eggs as a binary distribution
>> (not installation) format.
>

> Or to put it another way, it won't be a replacement for eggs at all.  It'll
> be a replacement for bdist_wininst.

That is certainly my understanding. Do we need a replacement for eggs?
It seems to me that the people who use them (not me) are happy with
them as they stand. On the other hand, packaging currently doesn't
have *any* equivalent of bdist_wininst (other than to use the legacy
version unchanged) - specifically, there's no binary format that
pysetup install will use - so there's a reasonably clear need there.

Paul.