[Distutils] RFC: Binary Distribution Format for distutils2/packaging

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Mar 15 17:58:00 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:40:36AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:

> >> isn't that supposed to be the source release ?
> >
> > Yes, basically - at least as far as I understand.
> >
> >> Why would someone create a binary release when
> >> it's pure Python ?
> >
> > I wish I knew. But people do - mostly egg format files. But I think
> > this is partly because of the confusion between
> > egg-as-distribution-format vs egg-as-directly-usable-object that PJE
> > alludes to in his emails.
>
> I sometimes create platform-independent eggs to indicate a Python-version
> dependency.  Until d2/p, there was no other way to indicate dependence
> on a particular Python version.

Except for Trove classifiers, of course:

    'Programming Language :: Python',
    'Programming Language :: Python :: 2',
    'Programming Language :: Python :: 2.4',
    'Programming Language :: Python :: 2.5',
    'Programming Language :: Python :: 2.6',
    'Programming Language :: Python :: 2.7',
    'Programming Language :: Python :: 3',
    'Programming Language :: Python :: 3.1',
    'Programming Language :: Python :: 3.2',

Or do I misunderstand your requirements?

Marius Gedminas
--
No proper program contains an indication which as an operator-applied
occurrence identifies an operator-defining occurrence which as an