[Distutils] [buildout] branches languishing? (site-packages and distutils scripts)

Ross Patterson me at rpatterson.net
Sat Mar 24 20:56:36 CET 2012

Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Reinout van Rees <reinout at vanrees.org> wrote:
>> On 01/19/2010 01:06 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> Not sure. I need to review this.
>>
>> Do you need me to make a fresh branch off the current trunk?
>
> No

I've run into the problem of buildout not installing distutils `scritps`
many times.  This means I can't use buildout when I would like to.  It's
also worth noting that pip handles this properly.

At the moment, I'm writing a buildout tutorial whose aim is to help
developers using Python understand the utility and core concepts of
buildout.  It's really unfortunate I can't tell them to do use the
following `buildout.cfg` to get the `docutils` scripts in an isolated
buildout:

    [buildout]
    parts = docutils

    [docutils]
    recipe = zc.recipe.egg

Can we possibly get this branch merged and a release made?

Ross