[Distutils] [buildout] branches languishing? (site-packages and distutils scripts)

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Sun Mar 25 17:31:36 CEST 2012

On 24-03-12 20:56, Ross Patterson wrote:
> Can we possibly get this branch merged and a release made?

 From what I remembered from 2.5 year ago was that the fix was pretty
small. I think I only had to call some setuptools function, basically.

Would it be an idea to move zc.buildout out of the zope svn repo into
github? It is quite central to many non-zope projects and nobody outside
of zope is going to bother with a contributor agreement, I think. And
some extra outside effort into buildout would be nice.

A good thing about github (or xxx or yyy) would be the ease of pull
requests. And a pull request coupled with a visible bug report "scripts
don't work" stands more chance of being included than a 2.5 year old
simple fix in some branch with some old mailinglist messages.

And... I'd love a list of current maintainers of zc.buildout that are
allowed to commit to trunk. iirc Jim only works on the python 3 port
("1.5.x is too hard to understand now") and the 1.5.x trunk itself
hasn't seen any development lately as far as I could see, despite people
being stuck on 1.4.x. So... who's maintaining buildout right now?

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
reinout at vanrees.org             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/