[Distutils] packaging in python 3.3 (was Re: command hooks...)

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Tue May 15 18:07:19 CEST 2012

Hi,

Le 13/05/2012 14:45, Chris McDonough a écrit :
> Let's try this again.  If distutils2/packaging is meant to actually be
> part of Python 3.3, I think it needs some documentation and
> implementation loving.  Is there a list of outstanding issues that need
> resolution?  I'm willing to row on them, but I need some direction.
For the doc I’ve been working on a big patch to cover the change from
setup.py to setup.cfg and pysetup.  Otherwise there are many things that
could be improved, like the tutorial or a cookbook, but patches for this
can go after the beta or even final release.  There is a list of issues
on bugs.python.org (search for the distutils2 component), but I did not
prioritize it.

> I can't really see packaging being included in Python 3.3 without a good
> bit of work being put into it.  Am I mistaken?
A good bit of work was put into it, not the least to convert it to
Python 3 (and then back to Python 2), but not all is done.  In the worst
case packaging 1.0 in Python 3.3 will work for simple cases and people
will be able to use it to install a newer version of distutils2.  I
still think it’s possible to do better than this worst case.

Going to reply to your other message now.

Regards