[Distutils] command hooks...

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:25:12 CEST 2012

I think the biggest thing missing wrt to command hooks is the ability
to have the tool automatically generate a OS specific wrapper (.exe for
windows, extension less with a shebang for *NIX). While I think it would
be useful for this feature to live in std lib, I don't think it's near as required
as getting the core of packaging into stdlib.

Attempting to create packaging as outside of stdlib brings up images
of http://xkcd.com/927/, and to me the only thing prevent packaging
from just being another standard is the "Blessing" that comes with
being in stdlib.