[Distutils] command hooks...

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Tue May 29 23:17:16 CEST 2012

On 05/29/2012 02:01 PM, PJ Eby wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Carl Meyer <carl at oddbird.net> wrote:
>     On 05/29/2012 08:19 AM, PJ Eby wrote:
>     > Right, and I don't think distutils2 can really add setup_requires
>     > without blessing a package manager.
>
>     I'm confused by this statement. distutils2 _includes_ a package manager
>     (pysetup); it has no need to bless an external one. What am I missing?
>
> I might be confused; I haven't been following the goings-on of late with
> distutils2.  At one point, I thought the plan was not to bless or
> include dependency-managing installers with the stdlib, or something
> like that.  i.e., I thought the plan wasn't to support or bless
> full-service tools like buildout, easy_install, or pip, or anything
> comparable to them.

Right, yeah, the plans in this area were fluid for awhile, but the
eventual conclusion was that the stdlib should have a command-line
utility capable of installing packages with dependencies. That exists in
default branch now; it's called pysetup. It doesn't have nearly all the
features of easy_install, buildout, or pip, but it can install packages
from an index with deps.

Carl