[Distutils] [Python-Dev] accept the wheel PEPs 425, 426, 427

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 13 21:43:30 CET 2012

I'm just beginning to review these PEPs and the threads, with an OS vendor
packager's eye.  Let me start with one small suggestion for PEP 425.

From the FAQ:

Q. Who will maintain the registry of abbreviated implementations?

A. New two-letter abbreviations can be requested on the python-dev mailing
   list. As a rule of thumb, abbreviations are reserved for the current 4 most
   prominent implementations.

I think the PEP should explicitly say that it will be the definitive keeper of
the abbreviations.  The request can be made on python-dev, and once approved,
PEP 425 will be updated with the new abbreviation.

Cheers,
-Barry