[Distutils] distlib and data files => resources ?

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Sun Nov 18 23:55:59 CET 2012

On 11/18/12 11:45 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:

> I don't really take exception to having such a feature (although I
> would be unlikely to use it), but I do take exception to the first
> paragraph of the description you pointed at:
>
> "This section describes the files used by the project which must not
> be installed in the same place that python modules or libraries, they
> are called resources. They are for example documentation files, script
> files, databases, etc..."
>
> That is not the definition of "resource" in setuptools-derived
> systems.  The definition of resource in setuptools-derived systems is
> "a non-Python file that lives in a package", which is exactly the
> opposite of the above definition.  I'd suggest to avoid confusion we
> don't call "files used by the project that must not be installed in
> the same place that python modules or libraries", and we call this
> other class of things something else.

I think there's a difference between:

1/ the nature of the file = e.g. not a source code file but a data file
2/ the location of the file = in site-packages as opposed to anywhere else

The name "resource" for me is only defined by 1/ and I don't see any
confusion or opposed definitions in that naming.
Neither did the people that worked on this feature.

But if you feel it's confusing, I am all for a separate name - I can't
think of another one though, do you have one in mind ?

'data' seems to much generic...

Tarek