[Distutils] Generating two Debian packages with stdeb

Edward Ekelund edward.ekelund at axis.com
Tue Nov 20 13:30:43 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to generate two .deb-files from a single
setup.py file. Or, if that's not possible, generate deb files from
custom-named setup.py files, e.g. client_setup.py & server_setup.py.

The reason I'm asking is that I need the source code to reside in the
same root folder. I'd also like to keep a clean folder structure,
something along the lines of this:

/test-program
	client.py
	server.py
	server_adapter.py
	setup.py

	tests/
		unit/
			client_unit_test.py
			server_unit_test.py
		function/
			client_function_test.py
			server_function_test.py

	etc/
		init.d/
			server
		server.conf

	usr/
		bin/
			client
			server

I'd like to generate client.deb, containing [client.py, usr/bin/client],
and server.deb, containing [server.py, server_adapter.py,
etc/server.conf, etc/init.d/server, user/bin/server]. Also server.deb
should be depend on client.deb.

After copying the stdeb folder to /test-program/ I've tried running
python client_setup.py --command-packages=stdeb.command bdist_deb

It fails however, since it seems that one of the dh-scripts is hard
coded to look for setup.py. I have no idea how to configure setup.py to
generate two .debs.

Thanks,
Eddie