[Distutils] License for distribute_setup.py?

Eric McDonald the.eric.mcdonald at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 18:53:08 CET 2012

Hi,

The distribute project web site said that this is the mailing list for
it, so I hope I'm asking my question in the right place.

I've googled around some (including the archives for this list) and
looked through some of the files at
https://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/src, but have been unable to find
out what the licensing terms for the 'distribute_setup.py' script, which
is made available to be bundled with other project's sources, are. My
research discovered that sources for the original PEAK setuptools can be
under either the PSF or Zope licenses; I assume that a derivative work,
such as distribute (?), would continue to be licensed along those lines.

As 'distribute_setup.py' is in the same repo as the distribute sources,
one might guess that it would also have the same license. But, since
this is a file intended to be used in other projects, I think a
clarification on the issue would be nice. (Sorry, if I missed something
obvious.)

Thanks,
  Eric

P.S. Not trying to create a ruckus about licensing. I am just trying to
catalog all "alternative" licenses in effect for a project that I am
working on.