[Distutils] distlib updated - comments sought

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Fri Oct 5 09:40:52 CEST 2012

On 10/5/12 12:28 AM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> I've updated distlib as follows:
>
> 1. I've added support for the equivalent of "pkg_resources.resource_filename"
>     for returning a true filesystem path for a resource. I've added info about
>     this in the "Distlib's design" document, though the reference API has not
>     been fully updated - I thought I'd see if there was any feedback about the
>     approach I've used. Code and tests have been added, though.
>
> 2. I've added the PyPI client code from distutils2 in distlib.pypi. I only
>     tweaked it a little to run under 2.x and 3.x from a single code base,
>     ensuring that all the tests passed. I hope to update it with better support
>     for finding archives not hosted on PyPI, using hints.
>
> I'm also considering the following changes, which I'd like some feedback on:
>
> * Merging the distlib.depgraph package into the distlib.database package, as
>    they are fairly interlinked (e.g. adding requires() and required_by() methods
>    to Distribution).
>
> * Removing depgraph.main() and its test, because I don't think it belongs in the
>    library layer, but is better implemented as a utility script.
I like the idea of having a main section to play with the tools, people
can invoke with -m

I don't think its a bad idea to have it in each module, like what Python
does
for SimpleHTTPServer or json.tools

stuff we could have:

- a manifest reader with various options
- displaying a dependency graph
- querying some stuff at PyPI..
etc..