[Distutils] distlib updated - comments sought

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 20:40:14 CEST 2012

Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm basing this only on Vinay's numbers of
> how-many-packages-can-generate-a-yaml. It's probably mostly packages
> that import something he didn't have installed inside setup.py, but I
> don't have a good way to find out exactly what is wrong with each one.
> An awful lot of packages do work fine; I don't have an automated way
> to detect that either.

See this gist of the current crop of errors:

https://gist.github.com/3841557

There are 1609 lines, after processing 17956 PyPI archives. Of the failures,
306 are because the source archive I generated from package.yaml didn't match
the results of "python setup.py sdist". The remaining 1303 are failures to
generate package.yaml. A depressing number are because the packagers failed to
include files like 'README.rst' or 'CHANGES' in the distribution, but setup.py
bails if they aren't there.

Some of these will be false positives, i.e. bugs in my code. But many of the
ones I've investigated hold up as a problem with the archive on PyPI.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip