[Distutils] distlib updated - comments sought

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Oct 10 01:10:42 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a good point. Actually, writing a "local PyPI server" is much
> easier if all you have to implement is the simple static page
> interface. So I take back some of my objection - both XML-RPC and the
> static page interface make sense to support. Although it would be nice
> to have a better definition of precisely what comprises the "simple
> interface" than looking at the source code of the scraper.

*cough*

  http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#package-index-api
  http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#making-your-package-available-for-easyinstall

Admittedly, not all of the specific heuristics for determining what
kind of distribution a file is are documented; the rules for
identifying distutils sdist and bdist_dumb files are unfortunately
somewhat arcane, because distutils' filename conventions are
inherently ambiguous for parsing.  Setuptools' rules for unambiguous
filename generation and parsing, however, are documented here:

  http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EggFormats#filename-embedded-metadata
  http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources#parsing-utilities

> (Oh, and I
> still think the actual PyPI static pages include more links than are
> necessary, but that's a different issue, and one which would be
> alleviated by an option to ignore offsite links).

See also:

  http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#restricting-downloads-with-allow-hosts

;-)