[Distutils] distlib updated to include "entry point" functionality

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 00:42:39 CEST 2012

PJ Eby <pje <at> telecommunity.com> writes:

> I'm not saying distlib must support all these plugin usecases
> *itself*, but if it solves its chosen usecases in a way that can't be
> *adapted by others* to handle the app platform use cases, then there's
> not going to be an appealing alternative to sticking with
> pkg_resources or its derivatives.

Well, distlib is pretty new on the block, and it'd be interesting to get
feedback from others who were trying to build on it to meet other use cases.
I can't see why it couldn't be built on, but if someone came up with specific
sticking points, ideally based on wanting to achieve some specific outcomes,
then perhaps those points could be addressed. Since we don't even have a
0.1 release yet, there's room for discussion.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip