[Distutils] accept the wheel PEPs 425, 426, 427

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 19:29:34 CEST 2012

I'd like to submit the Wheel PEPs 425 (filename metadata), 426
(Metadata 1.3), and 427 (wheel itself) for acceptance. The format has
been stable since May and we are preparing a patch to support it in
pip, but we need to earn consensus before including it in the most
widely used installer.

Wheel is a binary packaging format that is mostly based on the
phenomenal work done by 'packaging' as PEP 376 et al. The resulting
packages solve packaging problems by being installable without
setup.py or any variation of distutils, lxml can be installed in 0.7
seconds, and a simple installer is just "unzip" inside site-packages.
Wheel installers know about the major version number of the spec
itself, and will refuse to install version 2.0 wheels if they do not
understand them, so the format can be changed down the line.

Let me know what I need to do to get it accepted, if anything needs to
be added or revised, or, preferably, that it is awesome and you want
to use it ASAP.

Thanks,

Daniel Holth