[Distutils] distlib locator compares reasonably well with pip's PackageFinder

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 27 11:57:02 CEST 2012

PJ Eby <pje <at> telecommunity.com> writes:

> Just as an FYI, are you aware of the #egg=projname-version tagging
> convention currently in use for such links?

I wasn't - thanks - still new to this game :-) In the cases I was referring to,
the fragment looks like #egg=projname-dev. I still have to look through the 2%
where distlib's behaviour is different and check what the reason is.

I'm not sure if we should, as default behaviour, identify such archives as
potential downloads, especially as a goal is to do dependency resolution
without having to actually download archives and inspecting PKG-INFO / running
egg-info on them etc. Of course, this verification could be done during actual
installation.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip