[Distutils] environment markers in setup.cfg -- vs ;

Erik Bray erik.m.bray at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 19:32:33 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am implementing requirements-in-setup.cfg for wheel because there is
> no place to put environment markers in setup.py
>
> The Requires-Dist: lines in PKG-INFO use ; to separate environment
> markers from the dep name. Is setup.cfg supposed to use -- ? Why?
>
> requires-dist = keyring; python_version == '2.6'
>
> versus
>
> requires-dist = keyring -- python_version == '2.6'

(Sorry, meant to reply-all; hate how that's not a default on
python.org mailing lists.)

Where does it say that?  I see to recall it always using ; both in the
PKG-INFO and in setup.cfg.  I'm probably mistaken, but I'm just
wondering where you got this from?  And if so I wonder if it could be
changed. The -- syntax is just confusing IMO.

Erik