[Distutils] .egg-info metadata

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Sep 21 18:52:17 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Agreed. While I might have a suggestion to grab some project from some place
> on e.g. bitbucket,

This might've been buried in the thread, but that's *precisely* what
dependency links are: a *suggestion* as to where a *normally declared
dependency* can be filled.

Tools have the option to consume these suggestions, or not.  And
easy_install *only* uses these suggestions after all other available
options for finding the dependency have been exhausted.  (E.g. PyPI,
already-installed packages, links or indexes supplied on the command
line, etc.)

So there are two ways to block the use of dependency links:

1. Host restrictions (which can come from the command-line, personal
config, or site config)
2. Alternate indexes or command-line overrides for dependency links
(also configurable in the above-mentioned places) that satisfy all the
needed dependencies (so that easy_install doesn't bother with the
suggested links)

And you can easily combine the two, even if you're not the NSA.  ;-)

(You can also ask easy_install not to install dependencies at all, and
handle it all yourself.)

My point here, btw, isn't to advocate for the exact implementation of
dependency links; I just want to make sure everybody knows what they
*are*, because AFAICT there has been some huge misunderstanding and
FUD going on in this thread, and people making judgments based on
amplifying other people's misinterpretations of other people's
misunderstandings.