[Distutils] distlib updated with resources API

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Thu Sep 27 16:01:24 CEST 2012

On 9/26/12 11:58 PM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé <tarek <at> ziade.org> writes:
>
>> On a side note, since these are the original modules that were taking
>> out of Python's packaging implementation,
>> I don't think you can copyright them under your name like what I have
>> seen in setup.py
> AFAIK I've only added my copyright to the individual files I've created, but not
> to any of the files I've copied over from packaging. The plan is to move the
> project over to hg.python.org at some point, but Antoine suggested (on
> python-dev) leaving it on BitBucket until it gets a little more mature. I'm fine
> with that too; there's still a lot to do on it.

I think it's perfectly fine to have hg.python.org/distlib and do what
you described.

It can mature there - it does not bother cpython or other repositories.

Plus, it makes it easier to avoid any licensing headache in a few
months/years,
since any contributor just have to sign the Python contributor agreement.

>> Unless your plan is not to have distlib incorporated into Python but
>> roll a separate project, I'd recommend having it in hg.python.org
>> under the PSF umbrella.
> I think the suggestion was to keep it out of the stdlib for now, and add all or
> part of it later, as and when there's a general consensus on python-dev about
> its fitness for purpose. I can certainly update the files which I copied from
> packaging with a PSF copyright (or other copyright, like the Fellowship of the
> Packaging), if that would make you more comfortable, and / or state "Portions
> Copyright XXX" in setup.py. I certainly don't intend for copyright issues to be
> contentious :-)

I would just leave it in hg.python.org and drop any single author
header, and
have the project driven by the community under the PSF governance.

If we want to thank contributors like you or me or anyone that helped in
this code
base we can always maintain a CONTRIBUTORS.txt file.

What I'd like to avoid is distlib becoming a project that's owned/driven
by a single
person -- even if in the current effort you are the person that is
contributing
and driving things.

I hope this does not sound like harsh or anything - I am thankful you
are doing this.

I just think it's important that this project stays under the python-dev
umbrella
as the "official" subproject of packaging/distutils2 to have a smoother
transition later - and have you as its de-facto maintainer.

Cheers
Tarek