[Distutils] [Python-Dev] distlib updated with resources API

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 04:25:37 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Tarek Ziadé <tarek at ziade.org> wrote:
> On 9/28/12 12:55 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>>
>>> Last but not least, distlib is the plan forward endorsed by python-dev,
>>
>> Is it? I haven't seen a PEP or an official decision about that. Just
>> because
>> someone proposed it on a mailing-list doesn't mean it is "endorsed by
>> python-dev".
>

> We discussed about this with Vinay, Nick and al on python-dev, based on
> Nick's document
> that describes what 'distlib' is.
>
> The document has changed since then,
> http://python-notes.boredomandlaziness.org/en/latest/pep_ideas/core_packaging_api.html

Yeah, don't read too much into the current state of that - it will
eventually become a proposal for a standardised *in-memory* data
structure to better support metadata interoperability between
packaging tools, but it isn't there yet (although scrubbing every
reference to "JSON file" and replacing it with "API data structure"
would get you close - think of the overall idea as "like dictConfig,
but for distribution metadata rather than logging configurations". We
need something like that in order to allow import hooks to correctly
supply distribution metadata).

The original email thread from the removal of packaging from 3.3 is
probably a better point of reference, with a concrete "distlib" PEP
still on the todo list.

Cheers,
Nick.