[Distutils] Panel on packaging at PyCon 2013

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 20:08:21 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:08:48PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2012, at 12:01 PM, Éric Araujo wrote:
>
> >I’m putting up a last-minute proposal for a panel about directions for
> >the packaging ecosystem at the next PyCon.  For that I would need a list
> >of panelists.  I think it would be interesting to have developers (say
> >from distribute, buildout, pip, wheel) as well as users from
> >subcommunities (packaging people tend to be web developers, but their
> >experience doesn’t match the needs of the scipy community for example).
>
> Great idea.  Please include folks from distros.  Toshio would be a great
> representative of the RPM faction, and although I'm sure there's someone
> better, if no one else volunteers, I'll represent the .deb cabal.  It would be
> nice to have other *nix representatives if available, as well as Mac(Ports?)
> and Windows experts.

<nod> I could be on a panel although I haven't been keeping up with the
changes in distutils2/packaging/distlib/wheel/etc recently.  Nick Coghlin
had mentioned on one of the Fedora Python lists that he was working on
packaging and distros.  If he's planning on attending pycon he'd be an
alternate good choice for an rpm-based distro.

-Toshio