[Distutils] Simplify 426: Deprecate Author-email and Maintainer-email

Yuval Greenfield ubershmekel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 16:39:29 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Having a lot of meaningless options doesn't make meta data any more
> clear.
> > Well, they are not meaningless, but their role is fully fulfilled by
> other
> > options (Author and Maintainer fields in this particular case).
> >
> > The use case for the Author field is that if Author wants to be
> contacted,
> > (s)he leaves email. That's it. This use case should be described in the
> > meta-data along with the format that are expected to be recognized by the
> > software:
> >
> > Author: anatoly techtonik
> > Author: anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> > Author: anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>, Anything Else for
> Humans,
> > Or For Future Specs
> >
> > Here the field content defines its type - it's like duck typing for
> > specification, which make specifications more pythonic.
> >
> > Is it good?
>
> Nope. Having a separate field for email makes it clear that you should
> add the email there IMO. However, both author-email and
> maintainer-email are redundant, as is author and maintainer. The
> relevant info is maintainer, to be honest.
>
> //Lennart

Probably some projects have more than one person handling them. I agree
that the author/maintainer distinction isn't interesting. A list of
maintainer emails may be a good solution.

Not that we can have any semblance of this on pypi, I just wanted to
mention this is very nicely done on github e.g.
https://github.com/mrdoob/three.js/contributors

Yuval Greenfield