[Distutils] User Viewpoint: Packaging History, Confusion and User Advice

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 02:30:26 CEST 2013

On 25 Apr 2013 05:38, "Marcus Smith" <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:

>>   * new (very incomplete) packaging guide for users
>>   * new (very incomplete) "working on packaging tools" meta-guide for
>> contributors
>

> Nick, btw, as I've started worked to work on these locally, I'm inclined
to just have one document (the "user guide") that handles both goals.
> Why?
> 1) It's more realistic that we'll be able to maintain *one* document
well, rather than two.
> 2) They would end up overlapping or cross-linking anyway I think.
> 3) Most python user's want to know what's in the works anyway. It makes
them feel comfortable to see an active plan.

Sure, having additional sections like "where to find the source" and  "how
to get involved" at the end of the user guide rather than as a completely
separate doc sounds like a good idea. (Mostly for the first and last points
- intersphinx handles cross linking quite well)

Cheers,
Nick.