[Distutils] Last PEP 426 update for a while

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Aug 3 20:14:14 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Just pushed these changes. I'm happy to leave the PEP alone for a
>> while now,
>
> Thanks for doing these updates. Can I suggest the following corrections?
>
> 1. In the section "Exports", there is a dangling sentence which needs to be
>    completed: "The interpretation of the individual export keys is defined
>    by the distribution that i"
>
> 2. In the same section, it says "Export group names SHOULD correspond to
>    module names ..." and also "It is suggested that export groups be named
>    after distributions to help avoid name conflicts." It should be one of
>    these (I presume the former).

And not quite the former, either; the same arguments about not
splitting a distribution apply to modules as well.  i.e., a single
module might consume exports from more than one group, so saying they
should correspond is too strong; I would say instead that export group
names are dotted names that should be *prefixed* with the name of a
package or module provided by the relevant distribution.

(Of course, it's also perfectly fine for one to use a domain name or
other similarly-unique prefix; the real point is just that top-level
names should be reserved for groups defined by the stdlib and/or PEPs,
and everybody else should be using unique prefixes that give some
indication where one would look for a spec.)