[Distutils] Last PEP 426 update for a while

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 08:41:23 CEST 2013

On 4 August 2013 05:14, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Just pushed these changes.
>
> One more problem: the updated pydist-schema.json is not a valid schema file
> (it's not valid JSON either- I think there are trailing commas and a
> mismatched brace somewhere.

It's at least valid JSON now. I make no promises about the current
draft being a valid jsonschema :)

It turned out I had missed a few other naming related updates, so I
did another pass over all the interface and extension related
sections. Some points of note:

1. I adopted the PEP 3155 "qualified name" terminology for dotted
names. This applies to both module names (where their name and their
qualified name are the same thing) *and* to the names of other objects
within modules.

2. I adopted the term "fully qualified name" for the "module:name"
notation used by export specifiers (amongst other things). For
modules, the qualified name and the fully qualified name are the same.

3. I explicitly recommend the one distribution <-> one module/package
equivalence. There are valid reasons for deviating from that
recommendation, but it's still a good default.

4. I expand further on the intended usage of export groups (focusing
on plugin systems)

5. Both export group names and metadata extension names are now
required to use the qualified name format, with a recommendation that
they use a prefix that matches a module published by the defining
distribution

6. Qualified names are currently restricted to Python 2 compatible
identifiers. Even though it isn't as scary as the idea of Unicode
metadata names, I believe Unicode identifier support in export
metadata is still a can of worms that we don't want to open yet.

Cheers,
Nick.