[Distutils] What to do about the PyPI mirrors

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Aug 6 09:10:32 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 23:49 -0700, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
> On Aug 5, 2013, at 11:09 PM, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> (...)
> Between now and the first DNS change, I would absolutely recommend any
> current public mirrors to redirect users to their new domain name if
> they intend to have one, and we'll do whatever we can to help make
> users aware of the switch. I would rather have a clear timeline with
> fewer steps than add another stage where we (PSF) are issuing
> redirects to non-PSF servers. Very very +1 on the easier
> bandersnatch-ing though, I really would love to see more mirrors out
> there, I just don't want them associated with PyPI or python.org, and
> I don't want pip to be trying to auto-discover them.

PyPI mirrors _are_ associated with PyPI and pypi.python.org.
(Why) Do do want to flatly rule out pip/pypi.python.org support
for managing mirrors?

The perl CPAN mirroring provides this nice little machine-readable file:

    http://www.cpan.org/indices/mirrors.json

and a python-equivalent could be consumed by pip, i guess.

best,
holger