[Distutils] What to do about the PyPI mirrors

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Tue Aug 6 08:59:09 CEST 2013

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll calm down a bit and ponder some more structured reply.

However, you're responding to the technicalities. I didn't see any consideration to the user pain. It seems irrelevant. Almost like arguing with the TSA about taking off your shoes.

f.pypi.python.org is going to go away. And *everyone* using it needs to change it. Manually - or else.

Other communities, like the Linux distributions, are doing simple, file-based stuff for ages. They did not learn from us, and AFAICT we didn't learn from them?

My overall feeling is that we're telling the story to the outside world that they should not rely on Python. We can break anything, will find a good technical argument, and be done. If we're getting so much better with all the changes, then this goodness should be available to anyone invested with the platform already. Currently this seems to be: hurt the people who are with us now, so we can get more new ones when they leave.

Sorry for the sarcasm, as promised, I'll come back with a more structured technical response later - need to go and calm down.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com
gocept gmbh & co. kg · Forsterstraße 29 · 06112 Halle (Saale) · Germany
http://gocept.com · Tel +49 345 1229889-7
Python, Pyramid, Plone, Zope · consulting, development, hosting, operations