[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 12 20:35:28 CEST 2013

> I know I'm bike-shedding here, but my preference for extension would be
> '.pye' as it indicates something to execute, but without indicating exactly
> how (i.e. that it's via a separate launcher executable).

+1 (I spent the whole time reading this thread thinking "I'd prefer pye, or maybe pyx (pee-why-ex-ecutable)")

I don't think we're voting on it yet, but also +1 for putting .PYE in PATHEXT instead of .PY. As I've mentioned before, I'll be upset if one day typing "pip install ..." opens my editor instead of running pip...

And any reason we need a separate extension for pyw.exe? Can't that be specified in the shebang?

Cheers,
Steve