[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 19:08:21 CEST 2013

On 13 August 2013 17:33, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On another point you mention, Cygwin Python should be using Unix-style shell
> script wrappers, not Windows-style exes, surely? The whole point of Cygwin
> is that it emulates Unix, after all... So I don't see that as an argument
> either way.

So say I have a ~/bin directory where I put my scripts that I want to
be generally available. I install something with
    python setup.py install --install-scripts=~/bin
so that the scripts/script-wrappers go in there because I want to be
able to always access that program under that name. Don't be fooled by
the unixy tilde: I'm running ordinary Windows Python in that command
in git-bash, not Cygwin. Now if that folder is on PATH while I am in
Cygwin I can run the program with the same name if an .exe wrapper was
added. I can't run it with the same name if it's a .py/,bat file
because Cygwin doesn't have the implicit strip-the-extension PATHEXT
feature and can't run .bat files.

Oscar