[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Jason R. Coombs jaraco at jaraco.com
Wed Aug 14 00:53:13 CEST 2013

From: Distutils-SIG
[mailto:distutils-sig-bounces+jaraco=jaraco.com at python.org] On Behalf Of
Paul Moore
Sent: Tuesday, 13 August, 2013 17:28

In the interests of getting more concrete data, can I suggest that
setuptools add an off-by-default option, which can be set globally using a
config file or environment variable or something (so that it can be used
transparently by tools like pip) to use scripts rather than exe wrappers?
People can then try it and see whether they hit issues with it. Otherwise, I
think we're going to remain forever stuck with theorising and guesswork.

That's exactly what setuptools 1.0 does, but I want to get the first draft
right, so I'm seeking comment on the technique (using env var to enable),
the proper extension to use (.py has problems), and any other suggestions.
I'm glad you mentioned the issues on powershell with >4 characters. I'm
going to explore that issue to confirm that something like .pygs isn't
viable (I use powershell and PATHEXT quite a bit).