[Distutils] devpi-1.0: improved PyPI-server with upload/test/staging tool
holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Aug 15 16:38:04 CEST 2013
devpi-1.0: PyPI server and packaging/testing/release tool
devpi-1.0 brings an improved PyPI caching and internal
index server as well as a new abilities for tox-testing and
staging your Python release packages. For a (long) list
of changes, see the below CHANGELOG.
Documentation got revamped and extended and now contains three quickstart
scenarios. First the Quickstart tutorial for pypi-mirroring on your laptop::
And if you want to manage your releases or implement staging
as an individual or within an organisation::
If you want to permanently install devpi-server and potentially
access it from many clients::
More documentation and the beginning of an exhaustive user manual::
Note that devpi-1.0 is not data-compatible to the previous 0.9.4 release:
You need to start with a fresh devpi-1.0 installation and upload
your packages again. Future releases of devpi should
support data migration more directly.
best and have fun,
Changelog 1.0 (-0.9.4)
- rename "--datadir" to "--serverdir" to better match
the also picked up DEVPI_SERVERDIR environment variable.
- fix a strange effect in that sometimes tools ask to receive
a package url with a "#md5=..." arriving at the server side.
We now strip that part out before trying to serve the file.
- on startup don't create any initial indexes other
than the "root/pypi" pypi caching mirror.
- introduce ``--start``, ``--stop`` and ``--log`` commands for
controling a background devpi-server run. (these commands
previously were implemented with the devpi-client and the "server"
- fix issue27: provide full list of pypi names in root/pypi's simple
view (and simple pages from inheriting indices)
- default to "eventlet" server when creating deployment with --gendeploy
- fix issue25: return 403 Forbidden when trying to delete the root user.
- fix name mangling issue for pypi-cache: "project_name*" is now matched
correctly when a lookup for "project-name" happens.
- fix issue22: don't bypass CDN by default, rather provide an
"--bypass-cdn" option to do it (in case you have cache-invalidation troubles)
- fix issue20 and fix issue23: normalize index specs internally ("/root/dev" ->
"root/dev") and check if base indices exist.
- add Jenkins build job triggering for running the tests for a package
- inheritance cleanup: inherited versions for a project are now shadowed
and not shown anymore with getreleaselinks() or in +simple pages
if the "basename" is exactly shadowed.
- fix issue16: enrich projectconfig json with a "+shadow" file which
lists shadowed "versions"
- initial wheel support: accept "whl" uploads and support caching
of whl files from pypi.python.org
- implemented internal push operation between devpi indexes
- show "docs" link if documentation has been uploaded
- pushing releases to pypi.python.org will now correctly
report the filetype/pyversion in the metadata.
- add setting of acl_upload for indexes. Only the owning
user and acl_upload users may upload releases, files
or documentation to an index.
- add --passwd USER option for setting a user's password server-side
- don't require email setting for creating users
- removed ``server`` subcommand and options for controling background devpi-server
processes to become options of ``devpi-server`` itself.
- fix issue14: lookup "python" from PATH for upload/packaging activities instead of
using "sys.executable" which comes from the interpreter executing the "devpi" script.
This allows to alias "devpi" to come from a virtualenv which is separate from
the one used to perform packaging.
- fix issue35: "devpi index" cleanly errors out if no index is
specified or in use.
- remember authentication on a per-root basis and cleanup "devpi use"
interactions. This makes switching between multiple devpi instances
- fix issue17: better reporting when "devpi use" does not operate on valid URL
- test result upload and access:
- "devpi test" invokes "tox --result-json ..." and uploads
the test result log to devpi-server.
- "devpi list [-f] PKG" shows test result information.
- add "uploadtrigger_jenkins" configuration option through "devpi
- fix issue19: devpi use now memorizes --venv setting properly. Thanks Laurent.
- fix issue16: show files from shadowed versions
- initial wheel support: "devpi upload --format=bdist_wheel" now uploads
a wheel format file to the index. (XXX "devpi install" will trigger
pip commands with option "--use-wheels".)
- fix issue15: docs will now be built via "setup.py build_sphinx"
using a internal build dir so that the upload succeeds if conf.py
would otherwise specify a non-standard location.
- implement and refine "devpi push" command. It now accepts
two forms "user/name" for specifying an internal devpi index
and "pypi:REPONAME" for specifying a repository which must be
defined in a .pypirc file.
- remove spurious pdb.set_trace() in devpi install command when
no pip can be found.
- show and allow to set "acl_upload" for uploading priviliges
- add longer descriptions to each sub command, shown with
"devpi COMMAND -h".
- removed pytestplugin support for now (pytest reporting directly to
More information about the Distutils-SIG