[Distutils] Changing the "install hooks" mechanism for PEP 426

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 01:16:19 CEST 2013

On 15 Aug 2013 12:27, "PJ Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> > PJ Eby <pje <at> telecommunity.com> writes:
> >> than nested.)  So I would suggest that an export can either be an
> >> import identifier string, *or* a JSON object with arbitrary contents.
> > [snip]
> >> Given how many use cases are already met today by providing
> >> import-based exports, ISTM that they are the 20% that provides 80% of
> >> the value; arbitrary JSON is the 80% that only provides 20%, and so
> >> should not be the entry point (no pun intended) for people dealing
> >> with extensions.
> >
> > The above two statements seem to be contradictory as to the value of
> > arbitrary JSON.
>
> I don't see a contradiction.  I said that the majority of use cases
> (the figurative 80% of value) can be met with just a string (20% of
> complexity), and that a minority of use cases (20% of value) would be
> met by JSON (80% of complexity).
>
> This is consistent with STASCTAP, i.e., simple things are simple,
> complex things are possible.
>
> To be clear: I am *against* arbitrary JSON as the core protocol; it
> should be only for "complex things are possible" and only used when
> absolutely required.  I think we are in agreement on this.

But if we're only going to validate it via hooks, why not have the "mapping
of names to export specifiers" just be a recommended convention for
extensions rather than a separate exports field?

pydist.install_hooks, pydist.console_scripts, pydist.gui_scripts would then
all be conventional export groups.

pydist.prebuilt_commands would be non-conventional, since the values would
be relative file paths rather than export specifiers.

As an extension, pydist.extension_hooks would also be non-conventional,
since it would define a new namespace, where extension names map to an
export group of hooks. A separate export group per hook would be utterly
unreadable. That's why I'm still inclined to make this one a separate top
level field: *installers* have to know how to bootstrap the hook system,
and I like the symmetry of separate, relatively flat, publication and
subscription interfaces.

Cheers,
Nick.