[Distutils] distutils.util.get_platform() - Linux vs Windows

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 20 18:37:38 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM,  <samuel.ferencik at barclays.com> wrote:

> That's strange. I'm on Python 3.3.1, and it seems to me that get_platform()
> derives the value from uname for OS X, similar to Linux.
>
>     (osname, host, release, version, machine) = os.uname()
>     elif osname[:6] == "darwin":
>         import _osx_support, distutils.sysconfig
>         osname, release, machine = _osx_support.get_platform_osx(
>                                         distutils.sysconfig.get_config_vars(),
>                                         osname, release, machine)
>     return "%s-%s-%s" % (osname, release, machine)
>
> so I would expect "uname -m" to be in line with get_plaform(). But maybe I'm
> misreading that... Also, I don't have access to the _osx_support source code.

yup -- _osx_support.get_platform_osx() does special magic....

>>> return value is wrong on Linux and correct on
>>> Windows, right?
>>
>> no -- I'm saying that it's right on Windows (and OS-X), but wrong on Linux.
>
> I think you have misread my sentence, and we actually agree here.

duh! yes, we do.

> What's the next action? Report a Python bug? (That's a cultural question; I'm
> new to Python.)

not sure -- this seems like the right place to report it, but an
offical bug report may make sense.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov