[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 10:23:25 CEST 2013

Donald Stufft <donald <at> stufft.io> writes:

> However what I don't really want is to be using someones personal testbed
> for features they think is cool. There's nothing *wrong* with you trying
> new ideas out in distlib, it just means that distib isn't the library I
> want to build tooling around.

"Someone's personal test-bed"? How do you think all open source software
starts out? What innovation isn't based on a feature someone thinks "is cool"?

>From our interactions, I don't get a feeling that you're particularly
interested in building tooling around distlib anyway, for reasons best known
to you. This specific feature could be easily pulled, and distlib is still
only at version 0.1.2. Nick has indicated he doesn't think it's appropriate
to consider distlib ready for endorsement in a 3.4 time-frame, so there's
plenty of time to make changes which are deemed necessary. How on earth do
you expect people to try things out, see where the problems are and fix
them, if you don't release such features? It would certainly help if you
describe specific problems with this feature, rather than just "I don't like
it".

> My basic problem is if the library we're pointing at to be the reference
> implementation of all of these things is adding new features it's
> confusing what is standard and what are just distlib's extensions.

There are already features in distlib which aren't mentioned in any PEP -
e.g. the ability to calculate dependency graphs without downloading any
archives, or the ability to install scripts as single executables on
Windows, or the ability to give better feedback when uninstalling.

> So basically I want people to innovate, that's something I feel very
> strongly is a good thing, I just don't want innovations to happen in the
> reference library. Maybe we need a smaller reference library which is

ISTM distlib is not yet that reference library - it's just another library
for most people, judging from the low level of feedback I've had overall.

There's plenty of time to try things out and make changes, so I find your
approach a bit of an over-reaction, and feel that it doesn't square with
what you're saying about innovation. You know that feeling you mentioned
that you get, where you think everyone is just out to block you and stop you
getting stuff done? Are you trying to spread that feeling around? ;-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip