[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 14:01:22 CEST 2013

On 21 August 2013 12:22, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Another one IIRC was that distlib didn't put entry-points.txt in the
> > .dist-info directory in the wheel (which breaks entry points). I think
> > that's fixed now (and again, the Wheel spec is silent on what is correct
> > behaviour here).
>
> Right. The recent PEP 426 updates with the "commands" key supersedes the
> entry points stuff, so I'm not sure what exactly should be done here. The
> distlib code uses the latest PEP information. Since wheel is moving to
> pydist.json, I assume that (when it gets around to it) it will have the
> relevant scripts info in pydist.json, so I haven't implemented using
> scripts
> declared in entry_points.txt in distlib for that reason.

OK, I see what you're saying here. But the Wheel 1.0 spec says that
metadata is in the METADATA file (and comes from PKG-INFO). So my reading
of that means that Metadata 1.x will remain valid for the foreseeable
future (sure, Metadata 2.0 may become acceptable *as well* but the point of
having a Wheel 1.0 spec is that we won't stop supporting it for some time
yet). So you need to have a pre-2.0 solution in place, and while
entry-points.txt isn't explicitly stated in the wheel PEP, it's the obvious
equivalent.

If you want to say distlib won't support pre-Metadata 2.0 specifications of
script metadata, then that's your choice - it's not contrary to the
standards but I'd view it as a quality of implementation choice. I view the
underspecification in the Wheel 1.0 spec as similarly a quality of detail
issue, and I'd expect to fix it in either an update to Wheel 1.0, or a
Wheel 1.1 which does not make the jump to pure Metadata 2.0.

Paul