[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Wed Aug 21 17:52:36 CEST 2013

On 08/21/2013 03:29 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> Can you send me a list (or post them here) of what issues you've hit?
> The biggest one i'm aware of is the scripts problem which is a
> fundamental problem with the 1.0 Wheel (or rather that any library with
> console entry points cannot be universal).

Since you asked, I'll mention the two that I've hit (though I think
you're also aware of these already):

1) Wheel's conversion of - to _ in version strings embedded in
filenames, which breaks with setuptools precedent; see
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1150 and
https://bitbucket.org/dholth/wheel/issue/78/wheel-rewrites-versions-preventing

2) Wheel's decision to follow distutils' documentation rather than
distutils' behavior when it comes to the location for installing
data_files with relative paths; see
https://bitbucket.org/dholth/wheel/issue/80/wheel-does-not-install-data_files-in-site

Carl