[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Wed Aug 21 18:48:15 CEST 2013

On 08/21/2013 10:32 AM, Daniel Holth wrote:
>> 2) Wheel's decision to follow distutils' documentation rather than
>> distutils' behavior when it comes to the location for installing
>> data_files with relative paths; see
>> https://bitbucket.org/dholth/wheel/issue/80/wheel-does-not-install-data_files-in-site
>
> Django has fixed it by using package_data appropriately:
> https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/19252 . The problem isn't unique
> to wheel, the same data_files mishap happens with bdist_wininst.
>
> "Regardless, comment 5 is correct that we jump through way too many
> hoops in our setup.py in order to try to trick distutils into handling
> data_files as if they were package_data, and that is the root cause of
> this bug. Instead we should just use package_data and solve the
> problem properly."

Yup, that's my comment you're quoting :-) I do think from the packager
end using package_data is the right solution.

But given the existence of distributions using data_files this way (and
the likelihood that not all of them will be fixed), is there a good
argument for wheel to not maintain compatibility with sdists and python
setup.py install? Are there distributions out there relying on the
bdist_wininst behavior?

Carl