[Distutils] What does it mean for Python to "bundle pip"?

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 23 00:08:56 CEST 2013

> C extensions are not ready for use yet anywhere other than on Windows
> (Linux in particular has architecture/ABI questions to resolve)..
> Projects that use script wrappers probably shouldn't expect wheels to
> manage these seamlessly yet (things are still in flux in that area).
> "Advanced" features like post-install scripts don't work yet.
> The rest is likely fine.
>
> If you have a simple pure-Python project, or one with a
> straightforward C extension, you should be fine.

but there is little point for a pure-python project. -- pip install
works fine form source for those..

as for a straightforward C extension -- does that only work for
Windows now (as above)?

I want to give it a shot for OS-X -- no one seems to want to maintian
bdist_mpkg, and it's time to move forward...

>  And it's hard to determine
> if anyone is doing things like that internally.

Yup -- I'll probably keep it internal at first as well.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov